FW: [DPRG] Re: SWARC at RoboRama

Subject: FW: [DPRG] Re: SWARC at RoboRama
From: Rick J. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Fri Sep 12 17:54:01 CDT 2003

Regarding SWARC at RoboRama,

In my opinion, remote controlled machines are the simplest form of
"robots". Certainly autonomous robots are a step above remote control.
In my opinion, the DPRG should not get involved in remote control
devices, because this would be a step backwards, and I think that the
DPRG should move forward with more innovative and more sophisticated
robots. (of which we have many fine examples.)

At the same time, many people are interested in fighting robots from TV
shows and such. If these shows get people interested in remote control
robotics, that's great. They can get involved in SWARC. If some of them
then decide to take the next step and build autonomous robots, then the
DPRG is here to help them do so.

I do not think that the DPRG should have SWARC robots involved in the
RoboRama, but it might be nice to show the public the distinction
between remote control "robots" and autonomous robots. When people hear
that you build robots, how many times have they said "oh, like robot
wars?". I just roll my eyes.

Anyway, I suggest that we allow SWARC to display some RC robots at the
RoboRama.

-Rick