[DPRG] stirring the pot

Subject: [DPRG] stirring the pot
From: Ed Okerson eokerson at texasconnect.net
Date: Sun Sep 21 12:47:01 CDT 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, David P. Anderson wrote:

> > I would love to come visit, and promise I will.  Right now I am busy
> > getting my new company running.  http://www.arkstream.com for those who
> > are interested.
>
> Extremely cool!!!!
>
> Is this what the DPRG needs to webcast our contests and RBNOs?

They would do that quite nicely.

> Can we afford it?

Not sure yet, we want to blow the market apart.  Current competition
prices are extremely obscene for single port boxes, we anticipate selling
our 3 port for a fraction of their price.

> How much bandwidth?

That depends on many factors, but we can get very nice quality full screen
MPEG4 in about 256-384k.  We hope to improve on that with some other newer
codecs.  But since the box supports Multicast RTP, you do not need
dedicated bandwidth for each viewer.

> Are those Linux boxes?

Yes, and no.  There is an embedded Linux processor in the box to do
supervisory functions, but all the real work of compression/decompression
is being done on dedicated TI DSP's.

> You've seen the camserv stuff that Steve and I have been running on the
> Linux machine at the warehouse (hal.dprg.org) on Tuesday evenings?

Yes, and it is nice to see familiar faces there.

Ed