[DPRG] 4-hour contest

Subject: [DPRG] 4-hour contest
From: rten at new.metronet.com rten at new.metronet.com
Date: Sun Sep 21 18:04:01 CDT 2003

These are some solid suggestions. Here are some comments:
Ralph

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Sheila Doyle wrote:

> > As far as the time limit, we may need to change the rules to start the
> event timer when the robot is taken onto the course, rather than waiting
> for an official start.

This is an excellent idea. A contestant can be expected to be able to get
onto the course withing a short (TBD) time. Then start the timer as soon
as he sets the bot down.

> Should wait for ok that judges are ready.  They are looking at the last bot.

I gather the new scoring forms weren't ready. These forms should be ready
to hand over to scoring within two minutes. Exception: breaks for the
judges as needed.

One goof that did not come up yet was only alloting 5 minutes to the
can-can attempt, rather than the specified 10 minutes. The judges did not
have a copy of the rules handy and were incorrect in their timing.

As soon as the rules committee finishes up, there will be no excuse not to
have at least two copies of the rules at the contest -- one with the
judges and one at the registration table for contestant reference.