[DPRG] Inexpensive gears

Subject: [DPRG] Inexpensive gears
From: Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Sun Sep 21 22:25:01 CDT 2003

On a related subject, can someone explain how to properly measure the
pitch of an existing gear so that one might easier locate mates for
them? I have some really nice small motors with 7 tooth gears of what
looks like approximately 32 pitch, but I'd hate to order a bunch of
stuff for them that didn't quite fit.

rljordan wrote:

>What I need:
>"Flat gear" shape like this:
>.----------.--.----------.
>|            |  |            |
>.----------.--.----------.
>
>Not like this flanged shape:
>             __
>             |  |
>.----------.--.----------.
>|            |  |            |
>.----------.--.----------.
>( http://www.servolink.com only sells this type.)

A few people suggested sources of the proper gears, but failing those
avenues, you might consider getting these servolink gears and machining
the hub flange off. I have done this with RC model airplane wheels in
order to adapt them to various gearmotor shafts. With a little planning,
you can probably produce a jig that will simplify the machine work,
reducing the chopping of 100 gears to maybe not such a tedious job...

Sluggy!

--

Never attribute to malice that which can
be adequately explained by ignorance.