[DPRG] Inexpensive gears

Subject: [DPRG] Inexpensive gears
From: Gordon McComb gmccomb at gmccomb.com
Date: Mon Sep 22 15:08:01 CDT 2003

At 12:32 PM 9/22/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Using Alumalite (the stuff I've used on my casting page) is pretty
>cheap and the subsequent gears are about 10 - 25 cents each.

That would be Alumilite, of course.<g>  Alumalite is a signboard substrate.
One of these companies should definitely sue the other...

Agree with you here Chuck that most hobby robotics application don't stress
 gears in a way that would require high precision. But when it is needed,
the hobby metalworking magazines do have the occasional article on cutting
gears with a lathe or mill (can be done on either; I prefer the lathe). I
buy these magazines at the local Barnes & Noble, so I assume they can be
found most anywhere. They have content that Web sites and even books lack,
and they're written for the desktop mill/lathe user -- Sherline's, old
Unimat's, etc.

-- Gordon