[DPRG] My Line Following Robot

Subject: [DPRG] My Line Following Robot
From: Steve Hassenplug hassenplug at mail.com
Date: Mon Sep 29 16:59:01 CDT 2003

> If it doesn't score well, you haven't met the criteria established for
> the event.

Yes, I understand that completely.

I think my point (which did not made it into my e-mail) was that this event is very unique when it comes to "Line Following" competitions.  The primary goal is to build a 'good' line following robot, not a fast one.  Speed is less than 15% of the total score.

> Craftsmanship has little to do with weight, size, etc... If it doesn't
> look like a turd with wheels and it makes it to the finish line in one
> piece you should do ok.

Right.  But the robot I hoped to enter has a weak point, and with someone else (not me) running it, they could easily have problems with it.  (that's happened before)

So, it could easily score low in that catagory.

> Many of the Lego folks have done very well at line following because
> they dealt with all the issues of the course, and not just the speed.

Yes, as I said, it's more issues with the scoring, than the course.  And I don't mean to complain about the rules or the scoring.  Those are, quite simply, the rules of the game.  It's kind of like going to a drag race vs. a car show.  This is more the "car show" version of line following.

So, now I just need to design a robot for the next event, and find someone who actually wants to build it.

Steve