[DPRG] Encoderless Speed Control

Subject: [DPRG] Encoderless Speed Control
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Fri Jan 2 12:52:00 CST 2004

You'll notice that the motor has "smooth 12V" in to it, this is because
trying to PWM that motor would generate some false readings. It does
however make for a good tachometer, and it might work for a linear control
system where you were modulating the motor voltage linearly.

I worked on getting a similar technique to work, however I used a
transformer in-line with the  motor sort of like this:

     V motor -----+
                  |  +-----+
                  )||(    / \      ||
                  )||(  +<   >-----||-->
                  )||(  | \ /      ||
                  |  +-----+             brush pulses
                  |     |
               +--+--+  +-------------->
               |MOTOR|
               +--+--+

     Motor Gnd ---+

That's a full wave rectifier in there and a capacitor. Anyway the theory
was that the motor current would cover the magnetizing current of the
transformer core, then the brush spikes could be amplified out to an
isolated input of a comparator or something to be picked up. The trick was
the one could only look for spikes during an "on" PWM time.

Anyway, it was never very accurate and I couldn't get it to work reliably.
If someone does manage it, please write it up!

--Chuck