[DPRG] Servo Torque

Subject: [DPRG] Servo Torque
From: JDrumm9015 at aol.com JDrumm9015 at aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 9 09:16:01 CST 2004

Eric,
  This may not be "scientific", but it is an observation.
When I program a servo to move full range and hold it back with my fingers, not stalling it, but just restricting it, it
feels like the same push all the way to the programmed end point.  I realize my finger is not calibrated.

  I think that observation makes sense with what I know about servos, feedback, and PWM.  The circuitry is trying to move the servo until the output sense pot provides the feedback that the motion is complete.  My observation of RC servos is they don't overshoot, and they change very quickly.  All good signs of a correctly implemented control loop.  I think what
my finger "observations" and a little hypothetical thinking
tell me, is the servo rapidly develops the maximum torque when programmed to move.

  Comments?

John Drummond