[DPRG] Get your FREE robot

From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Wed Jan 21 17:39:01 CST 2004

Hi guys and gals, its been a while. I've been busy. Been working
with Mike Keesling in CA doing nifty things with movie cranes
and cameras.

Hey, Joe Jones of MIT, Roomba, and _Mobile Robots_ fame has a
new book out. It's called, _Robot Programming, A Practical Guide
to Behavior-Based Robotics_. It's a very good book, and I'm
learning quite a bit about the details of Brook's approach to
Subsumption, and Joe's own take off from it. Daniel Roth, also
of MIT, has written up a robot simulator, and you can go to this
web site, and get "YOUR OWN FREE VIRTUAL 'BOT!" (caption from
back of book).

I've been playing with the simulation, and you really can learn
a great deal about behavior-based robots. You can even change
the robots programmed behaviors and/or behavior settings, and
see how the robot responds differently. You can add things like
hockey pucks and walls to the environment, and lights, and come
up with your own maze solving robots and what not.

Thought some of you might enjoy working with a robot that you
don't have to burn your fingers with a soldering iron to get
moving.

Randy
www.newmicros.com