[DPRG] Which DOS is best?

Subject: [DPRG] Which DOS is best?
From: birt_j at earthlink.net birt_j at earthlink.net
Date: Wed Jan 28 13:23:00 CST 2004

I know some of you have used DOS for some robots, so let me pick your brain please.

Recently I've been cleaning out our old software storage cabinet here in the lab.  I've found a copy of every version of Windows from 3.0.  But most importantly several versions of  MS DOS from 5.0 to 6.22, and PC DOS 6.1(I trashed all the DOS 3.x stuff!).  I've got this old laptop (25 mhz 386sx, 40 mb HD) that I can't think of anything better to do with than make some sort of robot controller.

My question is there any verison of DOS above that would be better as far as devolopment tools (free ones), or compatability.  The laptop currently has DOS 5.0 and I may go ahead with the 6.22 upgrade if there are no draw backs.

Any input welcome.

Jeff