DPRG List  

[DPRG] Frequency-Voltage converter

Subject: [DPRG] Frequency-Voltage converter
From: Ted Huntington thunting at uci.edu
Date: Fri Jan 30 10:47:01 CST 2004

Hi Sanjay

You can  use a PIC to sample the frequency, to 8 bit digital, then change
digital to analog with a TC1320, or similar 8-bit digital to analog chip.
That would be cool if there is a PIC that has a to d and d to a, most only
have a to d.  A simple capacitor measuring device would be useful, and
using a 555 is a good idea.  I guess the frequency should be as high as
possible for various capacitors, in order to measure as many sizes as


Sanjay Dastoor wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm hooking up a circuit which requires me to measure capacitance - the
> easiest method I've found is to use an astable 555 timer circuit which
> outputs a square wave whose frequency is proportional to capacitance
> (that's a mouthful to understand..sorry if it's dense).  Anyhoo, does
> anyone have experience with chips that convert frequency to voltage?
> I've heard fairy tales of such chips, but can't seem to find any good
> info on them.
> Sanjay
> _______________________________________________
> DPRGlist mailing list
> DPRGlist at dprg.org
> http://nimon.ncc.com/mailman/listinfo/dprglist

Ted Huntington
Programmer Analyst I
Main Library
University of California, Irvine
PO Box 19557
Irvine, CA 92623-9557
emesgs:  thunting at uci.edu
web page:  http://business.lib.uci.edu/webpages/ted.htm
8:00a-12:00p Business Office (949) 824-8926
1:00p-5:00p  Multimedia Resource Center (949) 824-1674
"Stop violence, teach science."

More information about the DPRG mailing list