[DPRG] Measuring distances.

Subject: [DPRG] Measuring distances.
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Thu Oct 7 17:15:35 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 16:18, Lance Rose wrote:
> Lets say you had a room.  You want to create a "map" of
> that room.  You have a swarm of 6 or 10 small robots...

There's a lot of research on the web for this topic. Try a google search
for something like "swarm cooperative agents mapping". We've covered a
few related stories on robots.net lately:

http://robots.net/article/1295.html
Competition in Social Networks of Agents
This talks about a way to overcome some of the scaling problems as the
area to be mapped and the size of the swarms get bigger. Traditional
game-theory-based models tend not to scale very well. This new theory
allow agents to make choices based on incomplete knowledge and allows
the spontaneous evolution of "leaders" within the swarm to act as
information and control hubs.

http://robots.net/article/1112.html
Swarm Robots and the Freeze-Tag Problem
Deals with a common optimization problem encountered with swarms of
agents in arbitary arrangments when one agent needs to notify all the
other agents by relaying a message through its nearest neighbors.

Combining Teleoperation with Autonomy
http://robots.net/article/1242.html
and
Sliding Autonomy Demonstrated in UAVs
http://robots.net/article/1245.html
Sliding autonomy is an idea whereby a human sets goals and performs
other high-level tasks for a swarm of otherwise autonomous robots (think
borg worker and the borg queen). The immediate goal is a human fighter
pilot commanding a swarm of UCAVs.

-Steve