[DPRG] Recommendations for fast Wintel platform for CAD

Subject: [DPRG] Recommendations for fast Wintel platform for CAD
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Sun Oct 17 22:55:10 CDT 2004

I'm to pick parts for a next-to-fastest CAD workstation that will run
Windows.  Mostly I need pointers to fast, reliable motherboards, video
cards and whatever else helps CAD work (large 3D designs).  This is not
going to be a game machine, but is meant to replace a 2.4GHz laptop with
512MB RAM.  I think the main bottleneck is the video interface, but I'm
not sure.

The reason I want the "next-to-fastest" solution is for cost reasons.  I
notice that 10% more horsepower tends to double the cost.  I'd like to
stay a little behind the curve, if I can.  I'd like to spend less than
$1,000 if possible.  This would be for a barebones system, as the
monitor, printer, keyboard, etc. remains the same.

Any other pointers about what makes a systems really run fast (video,
hard drive, RAM combinations, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(972) 486-1317