[DPRG] Flooring...

Subject: [DPRG] Flooring...
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 20 02:47:00 CDT 2004

David Anderson's suggestion of "tear up the course" is interesting.
I saw it as float (level) the floor (protecting the drain with plastic - so
could be uncovered)
then paint entire area with epoxy paint -- or maybe concrete stain for
flatter finish.
Epoxy is only gloss and satin as I understand it.
Similar deal for Oil based enamel which was an earlier thought.
My idea here was long 24' wall and (2) 8' walls could be taken down allowing
some freedom for other activities.

David's idea was to leave drain exposed as he mentioned.
He explained at RBNO that building robots that can run only on the course
tend to be more specialized and less able to operate outside the course.
(paraphrasing a bit)

-----

At present we a looking at painting the existing deck black using epoxy paint
--
Kip and Brian like this idea. If anyone has a small quantity they would be
willing to donate I would like to do a test area to get a feel for texture /

Again, if we paint the course black, this does not keep us from rolling out
photo paper.
Especially a line following pattern.

Really since lighting conditions vary between the warehouse and the science
place there is not a very good way to duplicate course conditions unless a
cyclone takes the roof off the warehouse then the amount of light hitting the
course would be about the same.
----

James and I did  have some interesting discussions on modular course
construction.
I think this is a fun topic. Really would be fun to get ideas - Not to try to
introduce a new course just yet, but to give people who might want to play
around with building modular course components some ideas.

Maybe beacons like roomba can use would be the way to go.
I love the idea of a "sun" (bright light on a tripod) that could be located
by the robot to gain some idea about its direction.

Anyway, I not trying to go off in 50 directions which ultimately could dilute
other contests.
Well, maybe I am.

My main question to keep asking is how do we get people fired up about
building robots?
Maybe thinking about future course possibilities is one way - maybe not?

Maybe seeing Will's quadruped walking robot is a start (which he brought to
RBNO last night.) Truly awesome machine with seven servos controlled by one of
Dale's Proto Mega 16 boards.

I think I want to do a servo driven slug. I have a little less ambition than
Will right now.

- Ron