[DPRG] Flooring...

Subject: [DPRG] Flooring...
From: W.E.Cole wecole at ev1.net
Date: Thu Oct 21 01:11:05 CDT 2004

It's interesting that so much talk has suddenly started over these MDF tiles, since I've had them for nearly two years. I orginally bought them with the idea of donating one to each DPRG member, so we could all have a micro-sumo ring, in the hopes that more micro-sumo'bots would be built, but no one seemed interested. I also suggested, several times, that we resurface the warehouse course with them (again, no interest - but mainly out of concern for water damage).

I've got my own suggested uses: (I especially like #2)

#1 : Resurface the existing course (or a rebuilt one that could be broken down and stored when not needed). The MFD could glued to the course with carpet glue and then sealed with polyurethane floor varish to protect it against water damage. Once it's sealed, it can be painted over with (white / black) flat paint to recreate the contest courses. (I was going to refinish the floor of my den with it and seal it with the polyurethane, but I sold the house, so now I don't have to worry about it. I think it'd make a great floor if it's sealed properly.)

#2 : Build a different kind of course. My 2yr old son has an interesting toy made of several large plastic pieces that fit together like a puzzle. Each piece has a part of a road painted on it, that extends to the edge of two or more sides of the piece. By putting different pieces together, you can create an almost unlimited combination of roads for his toy cars to drive on. If we built a course like this and use it in a new type of contest, we could have a robotic "maze" with an almost unlimited number of combinations. I don't recall any other group having a contest like that, so this could be a DPRG first, not a copy cat contest. (I hope I explained the concept well enough - I don't think that clearly at 1 am.)

Anyway, I've got between 160-180 pieces of this MDF board. I was going to try to sell it off cheap, just to get rid of it. I'll donate it to the club if an agreement can be made on how to use it, but I don't want to donate it and have it lay around the warehouse unused, adding to the "collection" and gathering dust.

BTW, There should already be 3-4 pieces at the warehouse, unless someone already used it.

Bill