[DPRG] Measuring Speed of sound in a liquid

Subject: [DPRG] Measuring Speed of sound in a liquid
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Thu Sep 2 16:37:55 CDT 2004

I am looking for a way to measure the speed of sound through a liquid in a
PVC Pipe

I am thinking of something like a PVC pipe with a T on each end so the
sound can have a straight shot from the transmitter to the receiver.

                   Inlet                    Outlet
                  _|  |______________|  |_
Transmitter ____________________Reciever
                             PVC Pipe
So the issue is what to use for a membrane so the transmitter and receiver
do not get exposed to the liquid in the pipe (could be acidic or caustic)
PVC is good because not too much reacts with it.

I am thinking I want to use a high frequency sound (40 kHz) and I expect
the sound will travel fastest through the PVC pipe unless it is well damped.

What do you think? Good idea or not? Is there a better way?  I want about a
meter between the transmitter and receiver to get the accuracy I want.

Kip