[DPRG] Measuring Speed of sound in a liquid

Subject: [DPRG] Measuring Speed of sound in a liquid
From: Rick J. Bickle rbickle at swbell.net
Date: Thu Sep 2 17:16:00 CDT 2004

Kip,

How about a sealed ultrasonic sensor at one end of the pipe. Give it a
short pulse, and then measure the time to the reflected pulse.
Calculated against a known distance to the reflector, this should
provide a good speed measurement. If the goal is to determine the
density of liquid, then you should also have temperature sensors in the
pipe, and an algorithm or table of density figures for the liquid in
question.

I used to do some of this for fuel volume measurements.

Rick