[DPRG] serial baudrate converter

Subject: [DPRG] serial baudrate converter
From: Ted Larson ted at larsonland.com
Date: Wed Sep 8 13:11:39 CDT 2004

Dave,

Although I am not sure it is the "easiest" method, you could easily do this
with a cheap PIC chip with a UART like a 16F628A.  The ideal scenario would
be to use a chip with dual UART's on it, but most of them are larger
packages and above $10 in price. You would need to code up a FIFO inside, or
you would risk loosing data when going from the 19.2k side to the 9.6k side.
I would hook the 19.2k side to the UART, and then use the interrupt pin B0
on the 9.6k side.  If you have a 'C' compiler for the PIC with a good serial
library, then the whole project wouldn't take more than an hour or two to
build and test.  If you used SM parts you could probably get the whole thing
onto a PCB the size of your thumb. Only thing I would recommend for sure, is
use a xtal oscillator, and not a resonator or RC clock...the serial timing
in software will be highly sensitive to how good your clock is.

Hope this helps,

- Ted