[DPRG] [Fwd: Question re: IR communication between toys]

Subject: [DPRG] [Fwd: Question re: IR communication between toys]
From: Bill Boyer daweasel at swbell.net
Date: Fri Sep 10 22:26:39 CDT 2004

Please reply directly to Julie at jahaut at yahoo.com

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Julie Haut <jahaut at yahoo.com>
To: info at dprg.org
Subject: Question re: IR communication between toys
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:24:34 -0700

With all of the collective robotics knowledge of your members, I am
wondering if you can help me find an answer to the fact scenario below.
Please feel free to forward this e-mail to your members.

A client has asked that I locate some prior art to invalidate a patent.
I am wondering if you are aware of any robots or toys that communicate
via infrared between one another. I am specifically looking for a toy(s)
that can interact as follows:

a. toy 1 is activated and transmits an instruction/code via IR signal to
toy 2

b. toy 2 receives the IR signal and performs or reacts (motion or
speech) to the instruction/code in the IR signal.

The two toys need to be able to communicate back and forth. The
difficult part of my task is to locate either toys, robots or
publications that disclose this activity and be dated prior to April
1996. I would also be interested in talking to someone that may have
created a device before April 1996 that performs the above activity, but
never became a toy, robot or was published in an article. Please let me
know if you can help me out. I would like to find an answer before Sept.
15, 2004.

I am aware of the Lego programmable brick.  I also found a toy called
LaserCommand (Kenner toy) that is close to what I am looking for,
however, it appears that the truck does not communicate back to the
other spaceship-like vehicle.

In the meantime, I will continue to browse the web for an answer. Thank
you for your consideration. Feel free to call me (414-225-4980) if you
have any questions or need clarification.

-Julie