[DPRG] Re: Robo-magellan

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Robo-magellan
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue Sep 28 16:41:13 CDT 2004

Hi Ted,

Congratulations!  (Also very cool looking bot!)

Thanks for the recap.

So, it seems like GPS did not turn out to be too useful on this small of
a scale?  That's interesting to know.  I think that I read that Doug
is considering not even giving out GPS coordinates for next year's event,
if I understood correctly.

It does seem like the navigation contest, as it was orignally styled,
became a cone-touching contest, (as I analyzed to no avail in the original
request for comments, see SRS message #18121 and #18142).  And then, when
nobody actually touched any cones, there was no objective method left to
measure and rank the robots' actual navigation abilities, not surprisingly.

Is than an accurate description?

So at that point it became a subjective contest, with the judges having
to make up unpublished criteria on the spot for a speculative conclusion
as to who had the greatest chance of success:  "Most Likely to Succeed."

Seems like a slipperly slope.

Oh well, congratulations once again to you and Doug and Larry and to Servo
Magazine and everyone who worked so hard to produce this event.  I think its
a huge step in the direction of getting our experimental robots off their
specialized contest courses and out into the real world.  Most cool.

best,
dpa

Here's some links to the original observations on the Request for Comments,
for folks not on the SRS email list: