[DPRG] Re: Battery Holders

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Battery Holders
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 3 09:18:33 CST 2005

Ken,

>I tried finding 5- and 10-battery holders so as to make rechargeable 6v and
>12v units. I remember that I found the 5-battery holders somewhere, but I
>later could not find it again after a looong search. You'd think that they'd
>be more common.

I have been buying my battery holders from mail order from Mouser Electronics
in Fort Worth. No minimum purchase and the stuff arrives in a day.
(www.mouser.com)

I am using 6 and 10 cell packs.

You could always use a jumper wire to eliminate a battery in a 6 pack to make
it a 5.

I like the springs because if you short out the battery pack the springs melt
and retract opening up the circuit. At least that has been my experience
about 4 times.

A fuse is a better idea, but they often introduce a safety factor that makes
me uncomfortable. Plus, who can whine about a blown fuse at a robot club
meeting. Melted battery pack springs is at least a little more impressive.

Of course for robot use a box to encapsulate batteries in loose packs is a
must.
Tape strikes me as kind of messy.

I am liking the 2x5 "AA" pack versus say 1X10 "AA" pack. Seems like the pack
is more sturdy and less inclined to warp under tension from batteries and
springs.

Maybe I should go for the pre-assembled RC battery packs. I see they are
pretty reasonably priced these days...

Ron