[DPRG] recomended Atmel compiler? Help!

Subject: [DPRG] recomended Atmel compiler? Help!
From: -Old Dog- puppy_dog500 at yahoo.com
Date: Thu Feb 3 12:32:42 CST 2005

I’ve been using a demo version of BASCOM to program
Atmel (AVR) microcontrollers since discovering them.
This worked out pretty well. The compiler was free (my
kinda price) and readily available. It also supported
a wide range of products. And until last night, I
remained blissfully ignorant the demo-version’s
built-in limitations. It was then, that I ran into the
2K code limit of the demo compiler.

With the table-top contest approaching in less than
three weeks, my options are limited.

1) Pay for a full version of BASCOM? I could go for
that, if I could find vendor in the USA. The only
place I know to get it, is ordering from overseas.
2) Find another compiler/IDE that isn’t subject to
these limitations, but is still readily available and
reasonably inexpensive? Can anyone here recommend a
good one?
3) Just program in assembly? (That’s not gonna happen)

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
-Martin