[DPRG] recomended Atmel compiler? Help!

Subject: [DPRG] recomended Atmel compiler? Help!
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Thu Feb 3 12:44:29 CST 2005

Martin,

 > What do you guys recommend?

I've used FastAVR quite a bit:

http://www.fastavr.com

It's also free to demo, but has a 100 line limit.  I've found you can
put a lot of code on a single line, using the ":" statement separator.  ;)

The author is Italian, and the documentation has some odd linguistic
artifacts, but I've found it a particularly nice product (well worth the
$59 retail price tag, should you decide to take the plunge).  Also,
there's excellent support via the Yahoo! FastAVR group.  I usually get a
response within 24 hours, usually from the author or other hard-core
FastAVR folks.  Bugs in the compiler (what? bugs?) get fixed with equal
speed - Bojan doesn't wait for a new release, he just emails you the new
executable with the fixes!

You'd have more options if you spoke C or assembly.  :)  The WinAVR
windows port of the AVR-GCC compiler is very popular (and always free),
and as a DPRG member you are also entitled to a free version of the
otherwise $99 Atman Electronics AVR C IDE (also based on the AVR-GCC,
but with LOTS of extras like code wizards and simulated peripherals).

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(877) DALE WHEAT