[DPRG] Flame-Bait: Assembler vs C/BASIC/etc. (was "recomended Atmel compi...

Subject: [DPRG] Flame-Bait: Assembler vs C/BASIC/etc. (was "recomended Atmel compi...
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 4 17:29:27 CST 2005

I would go with high level language over assembly language.
Newer generation microcontrollers are eliminating many of the speed concerns
and
I would suspect they also are much  better designed to execute compiled code.

This is not to say there is no place for assembly language.

If you need to write a program composed of 100 instructions -- who cares, but
1,000? -- you would be wasting gray matter doing things that a compiler will
do for you.

I think being familiar with a machines architecture can be helpful in guiding
one to write efficient programs too. Mastering the assembly for a machine is
one way, but I think without going that far, one could learn enough to figure
out how to write efficient high-level code for a given machine.

Nice to be able to carry some of that code to the next machine too.

Now, if you need to squeeze every bit of performance out of a machine for a
task.
Assembly language might help you to get there, but now you have a real reason
to do it.
Or you might just decide to replace that 8 bit 16 MHz AVR with a 32 bit 500
MHz ARM
and totally avoid the issue.

I suspect the next step in low-cost low-power microcontrollers will bring us
good floating point performance, so doing fixed point math may still be useful
for a while.

I know there are some floating point DSPs out there, it is only a matter of
time until the added real estate will be incorporated into at least some of the
emerging breed of 32 bit micro controllers.

Maybe already happening -- maybe someone can comment on that.

Ron