[DPRG] Atmel Comparison

Subject: [DPRG] Atmel Comparison
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Sat Feb 5 17:11:59 CST 2005

Ed,

 > I need to build a bunch of boards by hand, with very low software
 > requirements, so i'm more concerned in how easy it'll be to solder
 > these buggers than how many K of RAM and A/D converters they have.

The easiest AVR packages to solder are the 8 pin DIPs:

ATtiny11
ATtiny12
ATtiny13

They also have SOIC versions of the above parts.

The next step up in size is 20 pin parts (DIP & SOIC):

AT90S2313
ATtiny26
ATtiny2313

 From there it jumps to 28 pin DIP (32 pin TQFP), then 40 pin DIP (44
pin TQFP) and on & on...

Another thing to think about when making a lot of identical AVR-based
boards is how you will be programming the parts.  You can either install
a socket for the DIP parts, or add an ISP connector to allow the part to
be programmed in-circuit.  I've done it both ways.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com
(877) DALE WHEAT