[DPRG] mouse guts

Subject: [DPRG] mouse guts
From: Ed Okerson ed at okerson.com
Date: Sun Feb 6 20:53:29 CST 2005

I was looking around at all the motors I have, and thought it would be
nice if I could make some cheap encoders for them.  I then realized that I
have several old computer mice laying around and remembered seeing this
site on hacking mice to get the encoders:

http://www.boondog.com/%5Ctutorials%5Cmouse%5CmouseHack.htm

Great article, but on taking apart several mice I found a problem.  The
one shown in the article has two LED's and detectors per encoder wheel,
but all of mine appear to only have one LED and detector per encoder
wheel.  So how does the mouse get quadrature or direction out of that?

Ed