[Fwd: Re: [DPRG] PC World Article]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: [DPRG] PC World Article]
From: Ed Okerson ed at okerson.com
Date: Mon Feb 7 17:13:27 CST 2005

Keep forgetting to hit reply to all......

Subject: Re: [DPRG] PC World Article
From:    "Ed Okerson" <ed at okerson.com>
Date:    Mon, February 7, 2005 1:56 pm
To:      "David P. Anderson" <dpa at io.isem.smu.edu>

David,

> Cool.  How did you track down the language?

I have spent a fair amount of time searching the net for good translators
lately, as my current work often leaves me with documents in languages not
offered by most of the on-line services such as BabelFish.  I found this
one that is really cool:

http://translation.langenberg.com/

It is a front end for many of the other services, and some offer the more
exotic languages.  About half way down on the page there is one for
"Identify/Guess Language" which takes you off to a Xerox web site that
will identify the language.  Just cut and past a paragraph from the web
site and hit the button!

>  Kip did some
> neat detective work searching for the word "Publikációk."

Kip is much more resourceful than I. :)

> I checked BabelFish but there is neither a Crotian-English
> nor a Hungarian-English option.   How does that make the
> Hungarians and the Croatians feel?

Those are both available at :
<http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml>

> The Hungarian site says: "David Anderson mini robotjai."
>
> Which I hope is a good thing.

The exact translation is "David Anderson(s) mini corvee" and if you look
up corvee at www.m-w.com it says:

Main Entry: cor·vée
Pronunciation: 'kor-"vA, kor-'
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English corvee, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin
corrogata, from Latin, feminine of corrogatus, past participle of
corrogare to collect, requisition, from com- + rogare to ask -- more at RIGHT
1 : unpaid labor (as toward constructing roads) due from a feudal vassal
to his lord
2 : labor exacted in lieu of taxes by public authorities especially for
highway construction or repair

So I guess "unpaid labor" pretty well describes a robot. :)

> It might mean "male and middle-aged" in Hungarian.
>
> But I hope not.
>
> mini robotjai,
> dpa

Might not want to use it for a tag line, lest your employer take it heart,
or have they already?

So how far out do you think we are from a real "Universal Translator" as
seen on TV (tm).  Or a BabelFish type device you can stick in your ear?
Translating the written word is getting better and better, but I still
have trouble in conference rooms!

Ed