[DPRG] cylindrical robotic arm

Subject: [DPRG] cylindrical robotic arm
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 9 05:48:00 CST 2005

Tigrul,

>I need cylindrical robot figures. Industrial robot pictures and
>figures of mechanical model of the robot. where can i find these?

Many robots use two-drive wheels and a third caster mounted in a
configuration which lends itself to building a cylindrical robot (Differential Drive
Robot).

Within our club. Beerbot is the most notorious cylindrical robot (that I know
of).
You can find pictures of it on our website.
One contest I remember where it is present is Robo-Rama 2003b
Here is the link to the photo gallery for that contest:

http://www.dprg.org/gallery/rr2003b/index.html

The most sophisticated robot in the club that uses the same drive geometry is
SR04
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robots/sr04/. It is not covered with a
cylindrical shroud but does have a cylindrical geometry.

Check out the site above for nBot which is a cylindrical robot that balances
on 2 wheels.

The Roomba vacuum cleaner is another robot with the same cylindrical
geometry.

I hope that is of some use and I am on target.
Also, your subject line mentioned "arm" so I am not sure if I am answering
your question.

Just doing a web search for "cylindrical robots" or "round robots" yielded a
number of hits for me.  Maybe the web knows more on this subject than many of
us, but you might get some interesting replies from your post.

Ron Grant