[DPRG] Current Monitoring, boring and with PWM

Subject: [DPRG] Current Monitoring, boring and with PWM
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Wed Feb 9 12:11:51 CST 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do some current monitoring in a device i'm building.
It is sort of a power distribution point that regulates battery
voltage and then provides it (through relays) to 8 different channels.

I'd like monitor the current going through these channels individually
(as a debug measure).  The voltage will remain constant. (or it
better! its Vcc to a bunch of stuff).

Right now i'm thinking about doing the classic 'serial precision
resistor' monitored by an A/D line.  Are there any other ways of doing
this?

Also I need to do something similar with my motor controllers.  I've
been told that using this method with PWM is a pain.  Wouldn't you
just average out the values of the voltage across the resistor?

Thanks for the help.

Ed P