[DPRG] Current Monitoring, boring and with PWM

Subject: [DPRG] Current Monitoring, boring and with PWM
From: Kipton Moravec kmoravec at spectronics.us
Date: Wed Feb 9 14:50:09 CST 2005

If you are doing PWM it is not quite that simple.

First, you want a low ohm resistor, so the resistor does not steal much
power.  As a result the voltage drop will be small and your ADC line may not
have much resolution in that range.

So you will probably have to amplify it with a non-inverting amplifier using
a OP-AMP.

Of course when your PWM is going you want to sample the average current. So
it is better to low pass the data with a simple RC circuit so you are
measuring the average, not the on or off portion.

If you use a coil you will still have to average.

Kip