[DPRG] Emedded video processing

Subject: [DPRG] Emedded video processing
From: Michael Giambalvo heathkit at gmail.com
Date: Fri Feb 11 13:17:54 CST 2005

I'm looking at the vision project for our AUV.  Right now, we've
settled an using an embedded PC because it's the simplest way to do
relatively fast vision processing on two cameras at around 20fps.

However, we've been kicking around the idea of a more embedded
solution.  Does anyone have experience doing vision with dsp
processors, or other embedded controllers?  Can you give us an idea of
what's involved in terms of cost, hardware, and software development?

The biggest stumbling block on researching this is my lack of
understanding of dsp vision algorithms.  I have a good idea of how
well FFT's and FIR filters run for time domain signals, but I'm not
sure how much processing power is needed for some of these vision
algorithms.  How does a BF533 compare to a 650MHz Celeron, or a 400MHz
Eden processor.