[DPRG] Embedded video processing

Subject: [DPRG] Embedded video processing
From: Kipton Moravec kmoravec at spectronics.us
Date: Mon Feb 14 09:16:20 CST 2005

Unless you have a lot of money to spend and are doing this for a commercial
application, or really need to reduce power, you are probably doing it the
best way now.

I have looked at some of TI DSP processors and almost everyone wants at
least $2500 (up to $10,000) for the Software development kit which has the C
compiler.

My recommendation is to do what we did in 1983, in the image processing lab
at TI. For the simple stuff do it in hardware and the more complicated stuff
do in SW.

A lot of the processing in image processing is doing convolutions or sliding
a template over the image. It is usually very simple multiplies by 1, 2, 4
or 8 (or shifts) and adds. This can be done in a FPGA like from Xilinx which
has free software for designing. You can do convolutions on the fly as the
data is streaming in.

Beyond that it is up to you how you want to go. A PC has a lot of power for
a relatively low price. The biggest problem is the cheap PC Boards require
so many different voltages. Which is a problem for battery operated
equipment. Embedded PC boards are available that only require 5V (and +12
for hard drives). Now you have to be careful of the OS.  If you are going
for pure processing, DOS is probably the best, because the OS is not taking
resources. If you need an OS then go with a command line stripped down
version of Linux (easier to strip down, and free).

New Micros has some pretty powerful processors with their ARM 32-bit
controllers. (Open source compilers -- Free!) A lot less processing power
than a PC, but a lot less electrical power too.

Kip