[DPRG] Embedded video processing

Subject: [DPRG] Embedded video processing
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Mon Feb 14 10:17:04 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:16, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I have looked at some of TI DSP processors and almost
> everyone wants at least $2500 (up to $10,000) for the
> Software development kit which has the C compiler.

I donated an old (1998) version of the TI SDK to the DPRG a few years
ago. If it's still around, that would be better than nothing.

There are also a few folks working on patches to GCC to target the
TMS320Cx. None work out of the box yet but it sounds like it is possible
to get them working if you're persistent. The best place to start is
probably the TMS320C[34]x DSP GNU Tools site.

 http://www.elec.canterbury.ac.nz/c4x/

Note that that's just if you need all that fancy optimization. I believe
the out of the box GCC includes a C4x target that works fine for C/C++
code but doesn't take advantage of 100% the DSPs capabilities. Depending
on your application, the standard GCC might generate acceptable code.

There are also some people using GCC to target the Analog Devices SHARC
DSPs. Here's a link to a Linux hosted binary of GCC:

 http://www.kvaleberg.com/g21.html

Sadly, there's still no GCC port for the Motorola DSP56F805 used in the
IsoPod. If there were, that might be an interesting one to use.

> This can be done in a FPGA like from Xilinx

I posted a robots.net story recently with links to an article on using
an FPGA for image processing. They were able to implement some highly
parallel algorithms in the FPGA that were doing millions of pixel
manipulations in a couple of clock cycles, way faster than any DSP.

-Steve