[DPRG] Platform independent servo controller

Subject: [DPRG] Platform independent servo controller
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 13:11:02 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 12:47, Jeremy Adams wrote:
> I am interested in commanding servos through a
> generic interface like (RS-232) or maybe even USB.

You can probably do that with most microcontrollers. Several DPRG
members are using Atmel AVRs or New Micros IsoPods (or ServoPods) for
this job. A couple of us are using the MiniRoboMind (68332) boards. You
can talk to any of these boards from Linux over a serial port pretty
easily.

> I have an SSC that has a USB interface (ACS USB SSC)
> that I bought but it's sample code for the interface
> is all MS Windows.

If the source is under a free license, perhaps it can be ported to run
on a non-proprietary OS like Linux. The Linux USB system is well
documented and there's plenty of source code available to start from.

> I prefer a platform independent approach esp. UNIX. I
> would like a scalable number of servo outputs and sensor
> inputs/outputs. Any suggestions?

If you need something totally off the self, the latest Linux kernels
include USB drivers for the Phidget USB servo controller boards. I don't
think they're cheap though.

-Steve