[DPRG] [Fwd: RE: Dallas News inquiry]

Subject: [DPRG] [Fwd: RE: Dallas News inquiry]
From: David Peterson robodave1 at comcast.net
Date: Thu Jul 7 22:47:06 CDT 2005

Hello Jim,

I believe that Japans push towards humanoid robotics is a great natural
progression to what people really would like to see as helpers. Perhaps
in their own culture there have been items of interest (cartoon super
robot heros) that have also contributed, where in our own culture robots
have been a bit more threatening. Also simple, single purpose machines
may seem like an appropriate route to go for the tasks of elder care
because we can more easily see a single task being achieved. Perhaps the
quality of care is what is being pursued by the Japanese. When was the
last time you had a conversation with your microwave? Have you developed
a fondness for your VCR? What I think would be better to realize is that
people generally prefer other people to care for them, not some
featureless box that hums around. Elder care is more likely to be
quality care if it appears to be given from something that even just
appears to be interactive and even more so if it appears "like us".
There may be some difficulties in achieving all the tasks that we
percieve are needed of humanoid robotics, but even limited interactivity
can achieve results in giving people new life.
    I believe our own assumptions of what humanoid robots should do is
coloring what value they can have, even at a less than all-inclusive
functionality. I would imagine that a person that is staying in a
nursing home would be willing to tell you the value of "someone" simply
coming by to say hello (speech synthesis, already achieved) , to note
who they are (face/object recognition, already achieved) and to be able
to summon help if requested or noted that it is needed (temp/heart rate
monitoring). Is it possible to simulate a conversation, at least on the
level many such interactions might be held? Yes, even with a program as
simple as Eliza ro Alice. Is it possible to do more, like carrying a
person? Probably (see Kawada Industries HRP-2), but there comes some of
the difficulties that others have noted. It could take some study, but I
believe that anthropomorphic care-givers could initally provide some of
the more simple tasks. Then as technology improves more complex and
difficult tasks can be achieved, such as lifting people to wheelchairs
or beds, cleaning tasks, medicinal adminstrations, meal preparation.
   As far as power concerns are measured, I do not see a problem with
"tethered" operation until such point as better mobile power technology
is achieved. Currenlty Asimo achieves approximately 30 minutes operation
on 10.5 Ah of 38.4 volt NiMh batteries, weighing about 17 lbs (7.7 kg).
This could nearly double witha similar weight of LiPoly cells, but that
still isn't a long runtime. However, we don't expect our floor buffers,
microwaves or other "appliances" to operate off of batteries, so this
objection could be significantly cured by simply plugging in the robot
where ever it is needed.
   Safety issues are something that can be brought up with any form of
technology. Those LiPoly cells I suggested can be somewhat dangerous if
improperly used, but how many thousands of cell phones already use them?
Laptops? Power levels are generally monitored and even in these devices
a graceful shutdown is made once power levels are read to be a bit low.
Issues such as proper performance of designated tasks involve testing
through the FDA. I can only imagine the tests involved in that
interesting balancing wheelchair, the Ibot 3000 before it was finally
approved. Many "what-ifs" could be proposed, but companies with the
ability to tackle them (Honda, Sony) are well aware of them, as they
have net with liabilities in other markets. (automobiles, computing).
    Interactivity has to be the key value of a care-giver robot.
Personality can provide that, even in non-anthorpomorphic robots, such
as R2-D2..  I recall a study in which Aibo(s) had been given to some
elderly people for a period, and the results were decreased heart rate,
and other factors that indicated a new sense of well being had been
achieved even with this simple non-humanoid form. Even researchers here
in the US have worked with "Gizmo" for an interactive pyschological
study, and apparently to develop a methodology for robot learning. We,
as people, do thoroughly enjoy interactions with animals, but ultimately
people will look towards other "robot people" as perhaps things that can
be trusted to be helpers.
   The value delivered by a care-giver robot must then be measured by
more than it's ability to bench-press grandma. It has to include the
ability of that robot to provide "entertainment" and a "quality of life"
for the people it is intended for. Our world has been developed by us to
fit human size and shaped people, so the platform most likely to achieve
the greatest variety of tasks will ultimately be humanoid. And the first
task of "Hello World" has already been achieved.

Dave

(Dale, are you really more frightened of a keypad than you are of a
Rottweiler?)