[DPRG] help needed in h-bridge

Subject: [DPRG] help needed in h-bridge
From: jdrumm9015 at aol.com jdrumm9015 at aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 11 12:00:05 CDT 2005

Horng Woei Chang,
  If you just switched the NPN and PNP transistor locations without changing the base connections
expect some "magic" smoke to be emitted.  If the NPN was on the bottom with the emitter connected
to ground the PNP was on the top with the emitter connected to +5VDC you would have both transistors
on for much of the time when switching.

  The original circuit will work for low voltages.  The base - emitter junctions of the transistors are
exposed to the full reverse bias of the motor supply voltage, if the bases are driven to the same
voltages as the motor supply.  If that voltage gets much over 7 volts expect more "magic" smoke to be emitted.  Most biploar transistors only have about 7 volts reverse bias allowed on the base emitter
before the junctions breakdown.  Without a doubt follow Rick's comments about using some
resistors to limit the base current if you are going to use this circuit.

  A very poor circuit to start with, I would suggest continuing your search and find a better
schematic.

John Drummond