[DPRG] DC motor requirements??

Subject: [DPRG] DC motor requirements??
From: sim bo simbo666 at yahoo.com
Date: Sat Jul 16 00:56:57 CDT 2005

Hi,
I am in the process of selecting a motor for a project
that im doing.
the project is a 2 wheel balancing robot.
in motor selection, after reading a few texts and
references, i was
wondering if anyone could confirm my process is
correct.

- use f=ma then find the required torque needed at the
wheels for desired
acceleration
- using the motor data sheet with gear ratios
efficiency etc. calculate the
torque delivered by the motor
- using data sheets (ie.
http://www.pennmotion.com/part_num_database/pdf/GM8712_31.pdf)
read off the
required current at the torque required..ensure its
under stall current
- using the diameter of the wheels, calculate the max
RPM attainable,
convert this into linear velocity and ensure its
adequate for the projects
purpose

Am i missing anything vital here? in particular, is
there anything else on
the data sheets that i am overlooking for my project
purpose.
Any relevant links would be useful aswell.
Thank you in advance.