[DPRG] DC motor requirements??

Subject: [DPRG] DC motor requirements??
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 16 09:43:59 CDT 2005

Re: Balancing Robot Motor Requirements

I am not going to give you a real answer, but maybe this will give you some
ideas for doing research...

My mechanical engineering skills are sketchy at best.

A few years ago I dug out my physics and dynamics texts and  wrote a
simulation program (probably full of flaws) then later built a balancing robot almost
as good as nbot.

For your consideration would be the moment of inertia of the wheels and the
inertial properties of the robot body which I recall modeling as two point
masses. One mass fixed at the axis of rotation (which I believe I included the
mass of the wheels)  and another at center of mass of the robot body. I
considered inertial properties of the wheels separately

To simplify the problem start by fixing the wheels to the ground where they
cannot roll. Your problem is now a torque problem except your as your robot
center of mass starts rotating it now has inertial kinetic energy which will
require motor torque to restore so you now have a nice dynamics problem deciding
how fast you will recover from the "fall" from balance.

It gets a bit trickier when you let go of the wheels. Now the wheels tend to
accelerate when you apply torque which causes a combination of things to
happen: 1) Energy is stored in the wheels (rotational moment of inertia -- correct
term?) and 2) as the wheels move the base of the robot moves which creates
forces acting along a line of action to the body center of mass.

I hope this makes some sense. A ball and stick model of the robot might help.

Keep in mind. You can make almost anything balance, but how well will be
determined by several factors, so I say:

Robot Mass
Location of Mass from Rotational Axis
Wheel Moment of Inertia
Wheel Torque