[DPRG] project help

Subject: [DPRG] project help
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 26 13:46:40 CDT 2005

Mike,

I have never built anything that can hover, but have twiddled with things
that balance, so here is my 2 cents:

Besides problems with your control algorithm you may have problems with error
accumulating in your gyros to give you a false impression of where "down" is.
You will probably need to be concerned about absolute orientation because I
would assume your craft would become increasingly uncontrollable at given
attitudes. Of course, with elaborate control schemes you could transition through
these, for example a move to invert the craft.

Check out Rotomotion, they make Intertial Measurement Units and have open
source and tech. info on the site  http://www.rotomotion.com

They employ accelerometers and gyros with a state based filter (implemented
in software) called a Kalman filter to obtain pitch,yaw,roll and the rate of
change of these angles.

This I believe would be the key to balancing your craft (At least one popular
moderately low-cost method)

You might want to look at some products that are on the market too:

http://www.rctoys.com/index.php?GTSE=goog&GTKW=dragan%20fly

-Ron