[DPRG] Re: PROJECT HELP

Subject: [DPRG] Re: PROJECT HELP
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Wed Jul 27 15:36:42 CDT 2005

Mike,

You have chosen a particularly advanced and difficult problem as
your first motion control project.

I think your chances of success will go way up if you start with a
more modest motion control problem, and work your way up to balance
in 3-space.

My experience is that, even balance in 2-space, like my nBot robot:
<http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/nbot>
is a very difficult problem for even an advanced robot builder to solve
effectively.

That said, if you set on the ducted fan platform as your first motion
control project, there are a number of fundamental problems that have to
be solved.  Some of it is hardware, some is electronics, but a lot of
it, and in some ways the most complex, is software.

What programming languages are you familiar with?  If you are confortable
in "C" then the gcc tool chain supports lots of microcontrollers and
there are a number of support groups available for different
architectures.

The Rotomotion folks that Ron mentioned use AVR processors and most
of the code is in C, so that might be a good place to start.

best regards,
dpa