[DPRG] Re: [D P RG] Converting laptop LCD's

Subject: [DPRG] Re: [D P RG] Converting laptop LCD's
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 4 01:57:05 CDT 2005

Kenneth or Someone:

Do the Laptop LCD panels have an integrated controller?
I thought I heard someone describe them as having like an analog VGA
interface?
Is this not true?  It seems to make sense that they would not have analog
inputs except for the high pin counts or fast logic to clock all those bits.

I find it interesting that the cheap LCD panels have analog VGA interfaces
and the more expensive have DVI (where I would think it takes more to digitize
analog VGA signals).

Now, maybe the issue with DVI is cables are probably less available or harder
to make.
I figure somewhere there is a plant where a slag of plastic pellets and
copper flows in one end and VGA cables flow out the other where they are dumped
into cargo containers -- making the choice for low end video monitor
manufacturers -- analog VGA.

My question would be if any of these LCD panels  accept analog VGA, might a
DVD player with component RGB output get you real close to what you need
assuming that the LCD controller would accept NTSC timing & come to think of it
interlaced video too -- unless using progressive scan output DVD which is maybe
more likely present with one that has RGB outputs I would think.

Also, if a DVD player with a DVI output is helpful then the solution may not
be cheap,
one I saw:  http://www.projectorcentral.com/bravo_d1.htm

And it does not come with a DVI cable. Those things are pricey!

-Ron