[DPRG] jbot twists off

Subject: [DPRG] jbot twists off
From: Kipton Moravec kmoravec at spectronics.us
Date: Fri Jun 24 17:01:53 CDT 2005

You could always move up to Titanium if the steel does not work.

I found my way to your home page, and your music page
http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/music/index.html listened to your music,
and read the article by Lawson Tate about your band (combo?) BL Lacerta.
Lawson is the DMN Theater Critic and watches a lot of Delynda's shows.

I liked most all of your music, especially "Weather Channel", and "On the
Spot". However Delynda and I both missed hearing the baby cooing in "On the
Spot"

Kip

eshaft.jpg>

So I thought, must be that we are putting a whole lot more torque on the
driveshafts than they are designed to handle, and headed off to the
hobby shop to buy replacements.

There the R/C car guy told me that the Nitro cars twist off their
driveshafts
all the time (which made me feel better), and he sold me a set of steel
constant
velocity joints to replace the plastic driveshafts (so THAT'S how they make
their
money!!):

<http://geology.heroy.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/jbot/jbot_cvjoint.jpg>

An interesting sidenote for those contemplating using R/C suspension and
drive parts for an offroad robot.  Evidently designed for high speed
(35~40 mph) and low torque, while our robots generally tend toward low
speed (4~5 mph) and high torque, hence the broken driveshaft.  Seems to
be a problem that the R/C nitro guys have already neatly solved.   Just
send money... ;)

best regards,
dpa