[DPRG] Re: electronic dog whistle

Subject: [DPRG] Re: electronic dog whistle
From: John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Date: Thu Oct 6 15:17:12 CDT 2005

I assume the dog bark stopper is ultrasonic. Therefore:

1. As you guessed, regular loudspeakers can not produce much volume at those
frequencies. Fortunately, a cheap piezo speaker with a horn on it will work
fairly well.
2. As others noted, the sound at those frequencies is extremely directional.
You'll have to point the speakers at the dogs. Dogs have excellent hearing,
so they can hear some sound even if it isn't aimed right at them, but there
will be sound nodes in the yard where it is loud and where it is almost
silent. Realize that if the neighbors investigate, they will see the
speakers pointed at their yards. Ideally, it would be better to have the
neighbors deal with their dog's behavior, maybe by buying any of the
commercial bark stoppers and putting them in their yards.
3. If you have a wooden fence, none of the sound will get through it. It
will reflect back into your yard, annoying and deafening your dog.
4. Dogs are curious. If the sound is odd or interesting to them, they will
bark simply because you've turned on the gadget. Barking dogs were the first
clue that I had a feedback problem one day, just before I saw the smoke
coming out of the speakers.
5. You might use the gadget throughout the daylight hours, forcing the
neighbor's dogs to stay awake all day long, even if they bark at the sound.
Then maybe they will sleep when you are sleeping. I had an opposite problem
with a neighbor's new dog which barked until it was hoarse every day until
the owners came home. Then it was quiet all night long. I wanted to keep the
dog up at night so it would sleep during the day when I was working, but the
dog got over its separation anxiety within a couple of months without any
help from me.

Have fun with sound.

John Swindle