[DPRG] Resistor packages

Subject: [DPRG] Resistor packages
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Sat Oct 8 16:02:54 CDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm laying out some PCBs, and I realized I didn't understand the
method for describing their packages.  I've heard some different SMD
packages tossed around, but these are through-hole.

What is a '0309' or a '0617' resistor?  I could be lazy and squeeze
things in vertically (which I'll probably do anyways to save space),
but I'd like to know what those numbers mean.

I have a feeling its soemthing like <width><length> in some unit.

Any help?

Or better yet, is there a big reference of electronic component packages?

Thanks,
Ed