[DPRG] Resistor packages

Subject: [DPRG] Resistor packages
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Sat Oct 8 17:47:13 CDT 2005

I have been laying out boards for a few years and have not seen those
names for resistors.  Usually surface mount resistors are 0201, 0402,
0603, 0805, 1206, 1210, 2012, 2518.  Through-hole resistors usually use
package names based on their wattage, 1/8W, 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W, 2W.
Sometimes they are based on the distance between the holes like AXIAL6
or AXIAL0.6 for 0.6" between the holes.

No one has a list of all the packages.  In addition different companies
have different names for some packages. DIP, SO are almost always the
same from one company to the next. Beyond that it is best to look up the
package on the datasheet to verify you have the right one.  It takes
some time. Every design I do I end up creating a few new packages that I
have never used before.

I hope this is a one-of-a-kind board.  Mounting axial resistors means it
will never be able to be placed by machine. You need to make each design
manufacturable.

I have been thinking of setting up a web page to give people guidelines
for laying out a board. Is anyone interested in reading it?

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com>