DPRG List  

[DPRG] Resistor packages

Subject: [DPRG] Resistor packages
From: Charles cthurston at sc.rr.com
Date: Sun Oct 9 15:33:21 CDT 2005

Hello Kipton,

      I would be interested in seeing that. As it stands now I have
      never done anything with surface mount devices and it has been a
      few years since I did anything with leaded devices.

Best Regards
Charles                               cthurston at sc.rr.com

Saturday, October 8, 2005, 6:47:13 PM, you wrote:

KM> I have been laying out boards for a few years and have not seen those
KM> names for resistors.  Usually surface mount resistors are 0201, 0402,
KM> 0603, 0805, 1206, 1210, 2012, 2518.  Through-hole resistors usually use
KM> package names based on their wattage, 1/8W, 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W, 2W.
KM> Sometimes they are based on the distance between the holes like AXIAL6
KM> or AXIAL0.6 for 0.6" between the holes.  

KM> No one has a list of all the packages.  In addition different companies
KM> have different names for some packages. DIP, SO are almost always the
KM> same from one company to the next. Beyond that it is best to look up the
KM> package on the datasheet to verify you have the right one.  It takes
KM> some time. Every design I do I end up creating a few new packages that I
KM> have never used before.

KM> I hope this is a one-of-a-kind board.  Mounting axial resistors means it
KM> will never be able to be placed by machine. You need to make each design
KM> manufacturable.

KM> I have been thinking of setting up a web page to give people guidelines
KM> for laying out a board. Is anyone interested in reading it?

KM> Kip

KM> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 16:02 -0500, Ed Paradis wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm laying out some PCBs, and I realized I didn't understand the
>> method for describing their packages.  I've heard some different SMD
>> packages tossed around, but these are through-hole.
>> What is a '0309' or a '0617' resistor?  I could be lazy and squeeze
>> things in vertically (which I'll probably do anyways to save space),
>> but I'd like to know what those numbers mean.
>> I have a feeling its soemthing like <width><length> in some unit.
>> Any help?
>> Or better yet, is there a big reference of electronic component packages?
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>> _______________________________________________
>> DPRGlist mailing list
>> DPRGlist at dprg.org
>> http://list.dprg.org/mailman/listinfo/dprglist


More information about the DPRG mailing list