[DPRG] Self Balancing.

Subject: [DPRG] Self Balancing.
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 17 07:06:01 CDT 2005

Tadej,

One source not mentioned in Earl's article is Rotomotion. You might want to
check them out (www.rotomotion.com).

I used one of their gyro/accelerometer modules in my balancing robot. I did
not use their controller, but instead integrated a modified version of their
tilt.c program into my controller.
Tilt.c is a module which implements a Kalman filter that uses both the output
of the accelerometer and gyro to give you a good estimation of robot tilt
angle.

tilt.c runs on my microcontroller which is a Proto Mega32 from dalewheat.com.
The module outputs analog values so you must have a couple of analog input
channels.

If your budget is limited, maybe start by using a potentiometer and feeler to
sense the tilt angle of your robot rather than a gyro and accelerometer
module. Of course to derive a rate of rotation you will need to differentiate the
value from your pot. To make life easier. I would recommend subtracting a bias
(zeroing out data) from robot at startup with the assumption that the robot is
being held in a balanced position. (The pot idea was recommended to me by
David Anderson, who created the first balancing robot, nBot,  in the club and
mentored me in building my balancing robot, Tip.

Also, "divide and conquer" is an important strategy for producing a balancing
robot in my opinion. For example, have some method of displaying tilt angle
graphically or as a number before attempting to use this information with some
kind of control algorithm.

Good Luck.

Ron Grant