[DPRG] USB

Subject: [DPRG] USB
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 5 04:02:58 CDT 2006

Charlie,

If you have trouble finding info for your motherboard:

I got interested in my suggestion to determine which is 5V and which is
ground then guess on the data lines -- and reverse them if interface does not work.

I seem to remember doing this on a motherboard back in the days when USB was
very new.

(Maybe someone could scan this post and comment on soundness of my approach)

This link might give more information and seems to confirm my approach.

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive124-2005-6-206452.html
---

My guess would be safest to use a volt meter rather than an ohm meter to
determine which is 5V and which is ground -- although I would be surprised if an
ohm meter could damage a USB driver/receiver.

My suggestion:
Connect the common of the volt meter to a known ground (say from a disk drive
connector) then probe the lines on the connector.

Of course a scope might even be more helpful, but not sure if needed. I can't
tell you off hand what is happening (datawise) on an empty USB bus

Ron