[DPRG] New Humanoid Robot Learning Kit e-nuvo 2.5

Subject: [DPRG] New Humanoid Robot Learning Kit e-nuvo 2.5
From: aliaga aliaga at zmp.co.jp
Date: Tue Apr 11 19:17:35 CDT 2006

Dear Members of the Dallas Personal Robotics Group Mailing List.

This is David Aliaga from the Technology Management & Strategy Office from
ZMP INC (http://www.zmp.co.jp), in Tokyo. We are a Japanese company in the
field of robotics that produces the humanoids: nuvo and e-nuvo.

[nuvo]:   (entertainment robot)
            http://nuvo.jp/
[e-nuvo]: (educational robot kit) (5.6MB)
            http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/e-nuvo25_pamphlet_english.pdf

My background is artificial intelligence and robotics from the University of
Kyoto and I am very interested in issues such as multiagent systems, robotic
architectures and learning.

I have been reading the posts of the mailing list with increasing interest
and I believe that some if not many of you could be interested to know about
our robots, specially our educational robot [e-nuvo] which is not only a
bipedal robot but that also comes as a complete educational robot kit to
learn robotics from the basics and the necessary software including API
libraries to program the robot.

You can see our robot in action in these MOVIES:

[e-nuvo walking]
http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/movie/e-nuvo2_Walk_HighSpeed1.MPG
http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/movie/e-nuvo2_Walk_NormalSpeed2.MPG

[e-nuvo kicking and squatting]
http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/movie/e-nuvo2_Squat_Kick.MPG

[e-nuvo lying down and getting up]
http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/movie/e-nuvo2_LieDownGetUp2.MPG

Until last year we have been directed mainly to the Japanese market with 200
units being used in many universities, technical colleges and company
laboratories in their engineering courses.
However from this year we have started a new effort to attend the
requirements of overseas (our first robot abroad won two awards in an
International Robot Competition in Korea).

What makes the difference is that this robot comes as a set with a textbook
to introduce the main issues of robotics (electronics, mechanism, control,
software, etc).
One of the characteristics of this book is that it is not only dedicated to
the robot itself but also to engineering fields in general.
The book presents all these concepts both from a theoretical and
experimental point of view.

The set also includes the necessary Software to control the robot, make new
movements and libraries for programming in Visual C++ and Visual Basic
programming.  We also have interesting plans for our robots and we are
looking forward to share our vision with all people that share our dream of
making robotics both educational and entertaining.

>From January of this year we have released e-nuvo Version 2.5 with a
completed redesigned programming interface, and soon e-nuvo will work with
MATLAB as well.

Thank you very much for your attention. If you would like to know more about
our robots, how to get your own e-nuvo, or how to become a partner of ZMP
please don't hesitate to write us.
We will be very pleased to explain you the features of our robot with even a
demonstration if possible.

Thanks again

David Aliaga (aliaga at zmp.co.jp)
Technology Management Office,
ZMP INC.
10F Aobadai Hills, 4-7-7 Aobadai, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0042 Japan
TEL: 81-3-5738-4855 FAX: 81-3-5738-4838
http://www.zmp.co.jp/  http://nuvo.jp/

P.S. For Informative Purposes I post below the main characteristics of our
[e-nuvo] set.

**  Practical  Education  in  Engineering  **
**  with e-nuvo the Bipedal Walking Robot  **

1) What is e-nuvo?
  ==============

e-nuvo is a bipedal walking robot directed to the educational market.
This robot comes together with a Textbook and Software.

This versatile robot can be used for both basic engineering and robotics
courses as well as advanced research.

The textbook covers several areas related with robotics and can be used in a
one semester course.  Its chapters being independent of each other give the
instructor and the learner the freedom to direct and reorganize the learning
pace.

The book was written under the supervision of Professor Makoto Mizukawa from
the Shibaura Institute of Technology and is available in English, Japanese
and Chinese.

  * e-nuvo & Education: (1.1MB)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/e-nuvo25_poster_english.pdf
  * e-nuvo Pamphlet: (5.6MB)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/e-nuvo25_pamphlet_english.pdf

2) What are the advantages of Version 2.5
  =======================================

Attending the requests of many professors and researchers using our previous
versions, we have redesigned the software system of e-nuvo.
Now it supports not only Visual C++ but also Visual Basic.

Other features include:
  * Foot Force Sensors [New]
    With four points of contacts, permit the estimation of center of
    gravity and ZMP position.  Together with our already available
    Gyro Acceleration sensor, it permits posture control through
    sensor feedback for your research needs.

  * A complete redesign of the whole system
    From the Sub-CPU's firmware to the DLL Libraries.

  * New programming interface. (e-nuvo API)
    It permits you to program your e-nuvo with either Microsoft
    Visual C++ or Visual Basic.  The API systems consists of 9 DLLs
    with the following interface:
      -> Joint Control API
      -> Motion Control API
      -> Sensor Feedback API
      -> System Administration API

  * Logging capabilities (MATLAB/CSV format).
    Joint angle data, Posture data (Gyro sensor, Acceleration sensor),
    Foot sensor data, sampled at 20ms frequency.
    The Log data can be saved in MATLAB's ".m file" format and be
    displayed as a graph.  Target and Present angle data can be
    compared with each other and you can estimate actual CoG or ZMP
    position.
      CoG: Center of Gravity (Statics)
      ZMP: Zero Moment Point (Dynamics)

3) What are the contents of the Textbook?
   ======================================

  * Chapter 1: Introduction to Humanoid Robotics
  * Chapter 2: Mechanism. (Link Structure, Coordinate Transformation)
  * Chapter 3: Electronics. Sensor circuits, electronic parts,
               Motor Driver Circuits, Processor
  * Chapter 4: Feedback Control (HW/SW)
  * Chapter 5: e-nuvo system & motions. GUI system, Motion files.
  * Chapter 6: Advanced concepts.  Programming with the API functions.
               Static walking

Also 18 Experiment Sections to further your students' interest and reinforce
theory!

  * Textbook sample pages:
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/curriculum_english_1.pdf (English)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/curriculum_english_2.pdf (English)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/curriculum_english_3.pdf (English)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/curriculum_3.pdf         (Japanese)
      http://www.zmp.co.jp/data/curriculum_chinese_8.pdf (Chinese)

4) WHO is using e-nuvo right now?
   ==============================

Until now, over 200 e-nuvo's are used in many universities, technical
colleges, high shools and company research facilities mostly in Japan.
Among them only as an example we can mention:

 * Universities:
   Osaka Prefectural University, Osaka City University,
   the University of Tokyo, Hokkaido University, Nagoya University,
   Toyo University, Kochi University of Technology,
   Toyota Technological Institute, Kanagawa Institute of Technology,
   Nippon Institute of Technology, Shikoku Polytechnic College,
   Polytechnic University, etc.

   (Outside Japan)
   Mexico Monterey Technological Institute,
   Singapore Ngee Ann Polytechnic, etc.

 * Technical Schools:
   Kagoshima National College of Technology,
   Matsue National College of Technology,
   KitaKyushu National College of Technology,
   Tokyo Metropolitan College of Aeronautical Engineering,
   Anan National College of Technology, etc.

 * Engineering High Schools:
   Saitama Prefectural Kumatani Technologycal HighSchool,
   Osaka Prefectural Fujiidera Technical Highschool,
   Nagano Prefecture Joint Education Center, etc

 * Companies:
   Denso E&TS Training Center Corporation,
   NTT Docomo, etc

If you have any question, or if you would like more information of our
robot, don't hesitate to write us.  We will be pleased to listen to your
needs, and suggestions.

Thank you very much for the attention

David Aliaga
ZMP INC