[DPRG] Sources for 5mm diameter shaft?

Subject: [DPRG] Sources for 5mm diameter shaft?
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Mon Apr 17 13:07:49 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 12:11, Rick Bickle wrote:
> Check the ultimate hardware store: www.mcmaster.com

Cool, they have it in a variety of lengths and materials - and no
minimum order requirements. I'll order some shortly. Any suggestions for
the best material considering I'll only have the tools at the DPRG
warehouse for cutting it to length? We've got a hacksaw and some cutting
bits for the dremel tool. I can choose from these materials:

Stainless Steel (303)
Stainless Steel (304)
Stainless Steel (440C)
Steel (AISI 1566)
Tungsten-Carbide

They claim the 303 steel is "easy to machine". I'm guessing that's my
best bet?

And I added the McMaster site to the DPRG links page, by the way.

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 11:38, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
> Have you tried small parts www.smallparts.com?

Yep, I checked there. All their stuff is measured in inches or bushels
or something. So I can get 4.7625mm or 6.35mm but not 5mm! :)

> If they don't have it, look at: www.sdp-si.com. Great
> source for gears, pulleys, etc.

I suspected they'd have it but I usually can't afford their prices for
hobby stuff unless there's no other option.

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 11:35, danny staple wrote:
> have you tried getting hold of broken or scrap printers?

That's a good suggestion too, I'll scrounge around in the parts bins at
the warehouse Tuesday night and see what I can find. We have some dead
printers and some already disassembled printers there.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too (tubes and threaded rod).

-Steve